Position: Upper School Counselor/Career Guidance Counselor (Studie- och Yrkesvägledare)
Reports to: Dean of Students
Duties and Responsibilities:
The School Counselor will be responsible for the successful completion of the
○ Assist students and parents with the secondary school course selection process according to student needs and interests. An integral part of this process is assisting students and parents to develop a Four Year Plan for
meeting graduation requirements.
○ Help students to research and understand their post-secondary career and educational options.
○ Assist with student preparation of applications for college and jobs.
○ Educate students and parents about college admissions requirements and financial aid.
○ Understand the requirements for PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP exams.
○ Hold motivational conversations, both individually and in groups.
○ Support teaching staff with educational and behavioural matters of
students, collaborate with educational teams within SIS.
○ Monitor and keep updated about international trends and changes in the
educational systems, mobility and labour markets.
○ Establish and maintain contacts with the actors outside the school which
are important for the development of youngsters.
○ Liaise with outside professionals and university representatives.
○ Keep abreast of all high school graduation requirements.
○ Deliver individual and group guidance curriculum supporting student development.
○ Contribute to a positive development of counseling and learning at SIS.
○ Implement programs for students and families related to interpersonal and adjustment issues.
○ Participate in the development of crisis prevention and management plans for the school.
○ Prepare transcripts for 12th grade students
○ Other duties as assigned by the Director or line manager
Qualifications and Attributes:
○ Guidance and School counselling qualification
○ Bachelor of Arts in related field
○ Experience working with school counselling in an international context
○ Deep knowledge and understanding of different educational systems, mobility and labour markets worldwide
○ Fluency in the English language, spoken and written
○ Proficiency with computers and programs associated with the position
○ Swedish language proficiency a plus
○ Show initiative, work independently and have good collaborative skills
○ Excellent communicator with a natural ability to engage, motivate and support individuals on their way to professional and personal development.
○ Willing to accept the challenge and want to make a difference in the student’s lives, by inspiring, helping and creating a welcoming culture for everyone
○ Pleasant and friendly
○ Effective under pressure
At Stockholm International School we are committed to protecting children. Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. All applicants will therefore be required to undergo appropriate child protection screening. Included in the recruitment process will be a local and national police check as well as a mandatory police background check from the last year of employment in every country worked.
Permanent (6 month probation period)
Start: August 2022
Salary based on experience
Last day for applications: August 15th, 2022
We only accept applications in English and from qualified counselors. Please send your letter of interest and CV to email@example.com and mark the email with “Counselor SIS”.