History of Norra Latin

Norra Latin was inaugurated in 1880. The building was designed by Helgo Zetterwall who adopted the neo-Renaissance style similar to a Florentine Renaissance palace. Within the central axis, Zetterwall arranged a large gymnasium and an auditorium. Among those attending the inauguration were Church of Sweden Archbishop Anton Sundberg, King Oscar II, and Crown Prince Eugen. (The Crown Prince was a gifted artist and created two of the impressive murals within the building.

Originally emphasising Latin, Greek, and classical studies in its curriculum, over the next 102 years the school evolved into one of the most prestigious schools in the city – and also one of the most innovative. NL had the country’s first school canteen, and the parents’ association hired Sweden’s first school counsellor in the 1940s. NL also had one of the first student councils.

Of course, in other respects it reflected the times: originally an all-boys school, in 1918, it was proposed that NL would become a co-educational school, but despite being adopted as policy it was not until 1961 that girls were granted entry.

The building ceased to be a school in the 1980s when it closed amid much protest. In 1989 a conversion was completed that transformed Norra Latin into a conference centre, which it has remained until now, when once again it will receive young, eager students through its doors.

More information about Norra Latin, the building and its previous education history can be found at these online resources:

Black and white photograph of NL
Black and white photograph of NL